Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Reminding myself why...

Today is the day when I feel the need to remind myself why I'm doing this.  It comes up everyday, in the sense that sometimes I feel good things, bad things, cravings, whatever, and I have to stop and think, hey, that's the reason why I'm doing this. 

A couple of weeks ago, I was watching a morning news program wherein they were talking about the attention deficit issues displayed by already-hyperactive children who ate processed foods, particularly foods that are artificially colored.  Then a couple of days later, the NY Times came out with a decision made by a U.S. FDA panel on the subject, which denied that artificial coloring causes hyperactivity and that no label warning was necessary!!  Here's the article:  http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/01/health/policy/01fda.html

Of course, the article discusses the Food Manufacturer lobby and their staunch denial of any problems whatsoever.  This made me sad.  And angry.  And scared. 

Even more importantly, it reminded me of my distrust of government because of it's strong ties to industry, and how large corporations are the devil.  So this challenge is something that works, not just for my body, but for my conscience.